View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:06 am

Forum rules

This is an international forum. PLEASE speak ENGLISH! If you have problems with english, please try to post in english and repeat the post in your motherlanguage.

Visit the How To Section before posting here!

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Speed? 
Private

Hello

They are digging fiber at my little village so i hopefully will be connected in a couple of weeks.

My question is:

What kind of speed is reasonable to get?

I can get anything from 10/10Mbit up to 1/1Gbit.

I was thinking 250/250 or 250/100 would be fine.

Gimme your opinions.

:meditation:

Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:45 pm
Lieutnant
Lieutnant

To be honest? Max 100/100. Dont need anything faster. Me myself had 70 and was very happy with that.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:09 pm
Private

i havent decided on anything yet and 100/100 might do for me.

Just wanna know what u guys think.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:46 pm
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Lol, I got 16/1 and I am more than happy :)

Question is, what do you Need the bandwith for ?

imo, for legal purposes my conn is sufficient :)

baba
Techie

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:19 pm
Private

Actually i got 24/1 ADSL today and its the same cost as 250/250 fiber connection. But i don think i really need that.
Thats why i wonder what u guys think is useful.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:49 pm
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

This question cannot be answered without knowing the prices for the different plans. There's need and there's "need".

What you "need" depends on the price and the money you have available. Faster is always better, how much better depends on its subjective price (calculated based on the actual price, your income, and how much higher speeds would benefit or please or amuse you).

The only meaningful question is how much you need at least, and that, obviously, depends on your use case. How many people use the connection, how much do you download at peak where rates have a required minimum (streaming, gaming). Do you currently have situations where someone starts streaming netflix and your game starts to lag? Then do the math and figure out how much you need to not "oversell" your connection.

If you don't have any speed issues per se, ask yourself how fast your downloads finish nowadays, and how much faster you want them to finish and how much money it is worth to you (back to "need").

Personally I wouldn't go with anything less than 100/100 because I currently have 100/5 and wouldn't want slower downloads than that (and boy would I appreciate the faster upload). Depending on your hobbies and profession, you may download plenty of legal and large files. Be aware that few servers will serve you with full gigabit speeds (though some do, mostly universities and the like). From a single server, you can usually expect speeds in the range 100-150 Mbit.

I'd happily take 1000/1000 if it was only twice the price of 100/100, but probably not if it was 4 times the price. 250/250 would be a good middle ground then.

What you do have to keep in mind is that routing 1000/1000 needs quite a bit of processing power, so you might have to upgrade your router, especially if you want fancy firewall rules etc, though there are devices in the 100-150€ range that can handle it just fine for home usage.

I wouldn't go with less than 100/100. In the future, the amount of streamed data, the size of games and software etc will only increase.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:19 pm
Private

250/250 is about 50€ a month . Same as i pay today for 24/1.
I live alone so noone steal my bandwidth.
I don't need that fast But for the same cost why not.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:53 pm
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

well, go for it :)

As Dominikh said, it really depends on what u need
if the monthly fee is the same why not?

baba
Techie

Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]